What is Divorce?

Kansas law requires that a person be a resident for sixty days before the filing of a divorce Petition. A person can file a Petition for Separate Maintenance without fulfilling the residency requirement. The laws concerning divorce, child custody, and visitation are changing rapidly. The Kansas Legislature has tried to discouraged persons from fighting over who has custody over children. A licensed mediator can often help people going through a divorce come to an agreement without having to go through a court battle over the issues arising out of a divorce. Mediation is a preferred method to solving domestic disputes. You should have an attorney review any mediated agreement before signing it. You can find the name of a qualified mediator by contacting an attorney.

John Nitcher, Bobbie Lee Riling, and Samara Miller in our firm handle divorce and post divorce cases. Call (785) 841-4700 to set an appointment. We do not offer free consultations.